JARDIN DES TUILERIES
Paris, France (1990)
The Tuileries Garden, reconfigured in 1666 by André Le Nôtre, is just north of the Louvre. In part due to recent changes there, and in part because of inherent problems of age and the evolving needs of the surrounding community, an international invited competition was staged to change the Tuileries from a royal court to a civic landscape and to create a new connection between the Louvre and the Tuileries. The MVVA scheme is an effort to refurbish Paris’s earliest public park and to create a garden for eighteen Aristide Maillol sculptures, preserving the historical importance of the garden while responding to contemporary needs of the city’s residents and visitors.

Since the destruction of the Tuileries Palace in 1871, the area between the Louvre’s Carrousel Gardens and the Tuileries had been unresolved. The design proposes a field of evergreen topiary cones arranged in a quincunx plan to provide spaces for the Maillol sculptures, and an experimental urban fish farm in the form of a long basin along the rue de Rivoli. The spiritual center of the plan is Le Notre’s series of Rooms of Light that chronical the changing seasons and times of day, located within the restored grand bosque of horse chestnut trees.
back to top ^